Sunday, March 2, 2014

OneDrive/File Explorer Integration

Hi!

I have been taking some time to design a new OneDrive/File explorer application. In order for Windows 8/9 to become a completely unified OS. It is necessary that the two interfaces become completely integrated. Therefore, there can be no more distinction between the two. Below I have come up with come concepts that work to combine the two interfaces as best as possible. Post your ideas for improvement!

(Click image to enlarge)
Navigation pane buttons ("favorites, OneDrive, Homegroup, etc.) will be pin-able (so will the complete navigation pane as seen below).
  • I designed the concept keeping the current SkyDrive app in mind for touch because this is the future of computing; however, I then attempted to add much of the functionality that you can find in the current File Explorer application.
  • I have made the concept with the link bar on the left just so people can quickly get around to different file areas in their computer/cloud.
  • Also, I thought is was an important touch to keep the view button and properties plain button available like in the OneDrive site online.
  • Also I like how the app and online client keep files and folders separated by a little more space. I personally think that it makes it look much cleaner.
(Click to enlarge)
This image shows the menus expanded when you right click or swipe down from the top.
Navigation pane and address bar are pin-able via the view button below.
  • I found that to completely combine the two interfaces into one some things had to be moved around.
  • A lot of the same functionality is still available as in File Explorer through right clicking on the files or folders themselves
  • I moved some of the menus to the bottom so to save space at the top for the address bar.
  • Again, you would be able to pin the navigation pane to the left side (as you currently can do in File Explorer) which would be great because I find that I use it the most out of all the menus/navigation buttons.
  • Also, I found that it was important to keep the back, forward, and up buttons because of their iconic functionality.
  • It does look a little cluttered with both menus open on top and bottom, but remember that this is only when your right click.
Important Questions:
  1. What would you need/miss if the two interfaces were combined?
  2. If you were making the design, what would you like to add or remove to make it cleaner/more complex?
  3. What other important features would you add?

No comments:

Post a Comment